Wednesday, August 5, 2009

POLITICS

Most people in this country, or at least the people I know have just about gotten the Presidential election and campaign out of their blood. They have stopped watching most of the political news stations on cable and are able to turn on the TV without hearing about the polls or who is ahead or who won the debate last night. They have stopped complaining about how long the campaign is and how much it cost. But not me. As anyone knows from reading my first blog or knowing me personally I was so involved, election day was a wonderful day for me but Nov. 5th was a punch in the stomach. It was over. My life for the last 2 years as I knew it was over. My political conversations were over. My political social life stopped. I had nothing to do. Most were happy, I was lost. Luckily there was the close knit group who worked side by side for 2 years who understood and felt the same way.

But life has begun again. Oh I kept myself busy. Redecorating a bedroom. Joining a neighborhood volunteer group. Catching up with old friends. And watching political news daily. But now it starts all over again. Not quite so big. There is no presidential elections. All local but that's ok. I will be involved. Tuesday was petition day for the 2010 candidates.

My friend who I worked closely with during President Obama's march to the White House has been hired as campaign director for a gentleman running for congress in a district in Chicago and has asked me if I would be willing to help. Of course I said yes. I said yes because I would help him no matter what He is a good guy, my friend, not the politician. I said yes because I loved doing this before and will love being involved again. And I said yes because I love our city, our country and I feel if you are unhappy about the way things are run then you have to do something to change it. I know I can't change a great deal about the way politics are but I can keep trying. And at my age when you learn about new things, it's a good day. And I am learning new things daily.

No comments: