Monday, May 18, 2009

BEING A GRANDMOTHER





When I got a call from my 21 year old grandson Nick asking if he could come stay with me there was not a hesitation in my answer. Not only are my grandkids my heart but I always told them I would be there for them and I felt proud that he knew he could turn to me. I said "of course" hung up the phone and instantly started cleaning out the spare room. Where the hell did all that junk come from? It's such a small room.

Several hours later it hit me like a dart between the eyes, he's 21 not a child, a grown man. As an over protective grandmother I'm going to smother him to death. I can't be following him around the house, he's not a toddler who will trip and hurt himself. I can't ask who's he talking to on the phone, it's none of my business. And I can't tell him over and over again "pull your pants up", he'll wear them any way he wants. So after going over the normal house rules, pick up after yourself, here's the washer and dryer learn how to use it, and call when you are going to be late, he hung his clothes up and settled in.

Then all hell broke loose. I started to feed him. He looks like he weighs 100 lbs. soaking wet but eats like a 400lb. wrestler. I have shopped with Peapod for several years so the first week I told Nick to sit down and order what he likes. After taking out a loan and looking in the delivered bags to see chips and pop and ice cream and steaks and more chips and more steaks my comment to the Peapod guy was OMG. He asked what is happening cause has delivered to me several times and this is not the norm.

He eats and gets up from the table to look in the fridge to see what's next. He eats again. Dinner in the oven cooking is only a signal that is time for an appetizer so a sandwich or a large salad with all the added goodies and a dish of ice cream will hold him 10 minutes till I get dinner on the table. It's a sight to see.

And of course the arrow in the heart for someone who looks at food and gains 10lbs is this skinny love of my life get down on the floor and works out daily so he can start eating all over again. It's grand to be 21 but wait until he hits 40 and his eating habits stay the same. Hopefully he will be living on his own happily ever after feeding me in the style I've become accustom to.



AND HE IS ALWAYS SMILING

1 comment:

seashore subjects said...

Better triple - or maybe quadruple your grocery budget! Tell Nick we send our love!