Sunday, July 19, 2009

DISCRIMINATION

In the time of a jobless economy we all know young people who are looking for jobs. Whether it is a summer job to help pay for college expenses come September or an entry level job to march forward as an adult and join the working fools of the world they are out there pounding the pavement.

My 21 year old grandson Nick who has been filling out applications and knocking on doors for months is having no luck. He came to visit Friday and also to use my computer to fill out more online apps. He also brought the good news that my 18 year old granddaughter, recent graduate, Amanda and her friend found a job in a newly opened restaurant. They are both planning on the community college in the fall. I was very excited since Amanda is the girl with 4 brothers, who thinks whatever she does her world is protected by her male siblings. From all accounts she has probably filled out 2 job applications since graduation in May. And she landed the job.
As grandmother I then questioned Nick about why he didn't go there as long as they were hiring. By the time he learned of it they had already hired their quota and the only reason the 2 cute young girls got the job was because the owner, a male, happened to walk in while they were being told, by a woman, that all positions were filled and he looked at them and said to hire them and give them a chance.
Nick was claiming foul play. Just because your cute you get a job. Unfair. I agree with him in my heart but she is my granddaughter and I'm happy for her.
So as a grandmother who believes in the idea that inner beauty is more important then outer beauty, that no matter who you are or what you look like you can achieve anything you set out to do could only come up with this simple advice for Nick.
Narrow your search to women owned companies, put on your irresistible charm and sex appeal and go out and get that job.
I'm only human and they are my grandkids.




MAN
VS.
WOMAN

1 comment:

seashore subjects said...

LOL! I am happy for Amanda, and hoping Nick finds a job soon.